Ever wanted to speak and sound intelligent, but make sure that no one knew where you were from? This might occur in a situation when you are working as an agent. The following can be very helpful for masking your origins and creating a intelligent facade.
[Y]ou get the accent in one of three ways:
- Learn the accent on purpose (actors used to do that).
- Grow up or live on both sides of the Atlantic (but that can lead to even stranger accents, like those of Loyd Grossman and Madonna).
- Pick it up at a top boarding school in America before the 1960s.
Transatlantic EnglishÂ goes something like this:
- Start with a mainstream American accent.
- Drop your râ€™s at the end of words, like in â€œfearâ€ and â€œwinnerâ€.
- Say all your tâ€™s as tâ€™s not dâ€™s (like in â€œwaterâ€ and â€œbutterâ€).
- Use RP (British) vowels. So â€œdanceâ€ becomes â€œdahnsâ€.